Nuffield Research Placements
Nuffield Research Placements (previously Nuffield Science Bursaries) provide over 1,000 students each year with the opportunity to work alongside professional scientists, technoilogists, engineers and mathematicians.
Students in the first year of a post-16 science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) course are eligible to apply. Placements are available across the UK, in universities,
commercial companies, voluntary organisations and research institutions.
Nuffield Research Placements are administered at a regional level by a network of Nuffield coordinators. The coordinator for Scotland is Jennifer Smith.
Nuffield Research Placements can be used to apply for a Gold CREST award .
For full details about the scheme and how to apply, visit the Nuffield Foundation website
- "I found the experience of time-keeping and working towards deadlines very valuable. I also felt that working with people has helped me develop my communication and presentation skills and this has helped me to realise that I would enjoy working with people in whatever career I end up in." - Student
- "I found the most valuable part of my experience was learning to use my own initiative and work by myself." - Student
- It is important to engage with secondary school level pupils to give them a taste of experimental science." - Supervisor
- "The main benefit is engagement with young people – better understanding of school leavers and their interests and perceptions. Improves communication and instigates analysis of the value, usefulness and approach of your own work. Engagement with teachers also useful. Good publicity." - Supervisor
- "A brilliant experience for the students. A real taster of life in the lab outside of school and a good idea of what it is like to be in the workplace in a research setting." - Teacher
- "Given the recent developments in developing the Scottish Science Baccalaureate, I think that the scheme is an excellent opportunity for young scientists to gain an academic/industrial experience." - Teacher